Parent Newsletter 1/2/19
Welcome Back Grizzlies, we hope your holiday break was wonderful! We are nearly halfway through the school year and cannot believe how fast it has flown by! Please keep checking the website for celebrations, updates and of course this newsletter! Our posts are constantly changing and updating and we want to keep you informed to the best of our abilities!
Parent Conferences- Thursday, January 10thare our term 2 parent conferences. Teachers will schedule you individually. Conference times are from 3:30-8:30pm. If you cannot make it that evening please reach out to your child’s teacher so he/she can reschedule you for a different date to come in and celebrate your child.
No Hats Policy- Recently our district policy on wearing of hats was updated. This allows for students in secondary schools to wear hats to school given they are worn within policy. This update however did NOT change in elementary school, you can find the policy here: (http://www.nebo.edu/pubpolicy/J/JDG.pdf). We have had several students wearing hats to school, please remind them that if they choose to bring a hat to school it needs to remain in their backpack until the end of the day when they have left the physical building. As a school we may choose to plan a “hat” day where all students will be invited to wear a hat in special celebration. Please note this type of activity does fall within district policy. Thank you for your help and understanding on this matter.
Parking/Pick-up & Drop-off- As a large school with much growth it is my intent to remind all parents of the pick-up/drop-off zone guidelines. PLEASE PLEASE help us keep our students safe by following the following guidelines:
We ask you to please not park in the pick-up/drop-off area before or after school. If you need to get out of your car for any reason we need you to park in a marked parking stall and come in to the school. If there is an empty space in front of you while you are waiting to pick up or drop off your students we also need you to continue to pull forward, filling the void in space. Please note that the pick-up/drop-off lane is a single deep lane. The other portion of this lane is for a pull-through only. Do not stop or park in the pull through lane. In keeping to this procedure will help keep the flow of traffic moving along so we do not back up into the street more than necessary.
Please be courteous and follow the painted lines on the curbing.
Yellow painted lines = parent pick-up and drop-off zones (North & South ends)
Green painted lines = bus zone (Center East side)
We invite you to drop your student off or pick them up in the correct locations. The flow of traffic though tricky at times is critical to helping students arrive and leave safely. If you choose the North end of the building please pull through from the South end and leave on the North end. This will help us all do our best to get our grizzlies here and home.
Please do not pull in to the green busing zone. Even if you do not see a bus we currently have 8 buses to transport students at Mt. Loafer and it is not an approved area for parents to park or pull through.
We also ask that you do not park on the West side of 250 W unless you walk across the street to retrieve your children at the end of the school day. As you may notice we do not have a marked crosswalk or crossing guard to escort students across 250 W. If you choose to park on this side of the road you will need to get out of your car, cross the street to retrieve your grizzly and escort them back to your car. Thank you for helping us keep our students safe!
Winter Air Quality: Please note as the weather changes and is often unpredictable we will constantly be checking air quality through purpleair.com. We will also check the temperatures and follow the district recess guidelines on allowing children outside. The following information will explain in more detail what these guidelines and action items look like:
- We recommend that students arrive at school no earlier than 8:00 for supervision purposes. The building will be open for students to wait for the start of class in a warm gym or commons area.
- Children should arrive at school dressed for the weather of the day so they can safely and comfortably enjoy recesses. In winter months, children should remember to bring shoes to change into from their snow boots. All healthy children will be expected to go out for recess except in extreme weather conditions (wind chill, rain, snow, etc.).
- If your child cannot participate in recess for health reasons, please send a note to this effect. If it is to be a prolonged indoor stay (longer than 3 days) please send a note from the doctor.
- Students will remain inside in extreme weather conditions such as: very cold temperatures (below 20 degrees) and wind chill, heavy rain and snowfall, unhealthy air/inversions (we check air quality daily).
- Please be considerate and safety conscious as you drop off and pick up students at school. The winter months see an increase in the number of cars. Remember to: not block the flow of traffic (inside lanes are for waiting/sitting; outside lanes for quick stops and pull through), not block cross walk area, use parking stalls not pull through lanes if you need to enter the building.
- In the event of a major weather event (severe storm, power outage…) The District’s ParentLink system will be used to notify parents this can be in the form of an automated phone call, text, or email. For this information to reach you it is important that you keep your contact information current within the online SIS system. Information will also be posted and updated on the district web page www.nebo.edu. If we need to evacuate the school we would go to the Salem Stake Center on 300 W. All teachers and staff members will remain at school to care for the students. Unless otherwise notified, we will release students only to responsible adults or family members.
- Jan 2- School Resumes
- Jan 4- Student Recognition Assembly 9:30
- Jan 7- School Community Council 11:30
- Jan 8- 4thGrade Utah Symphony@ MMHS
- Jan 9- IEP Day
- Jan 10- Parent Teacher Conferences
- Jan 11- Teacher Development day- no students
- Jan 21- no school (martin luther king day)
- Jan 24- byu dunk team assembly 10:30am
- Jan 25- sledding on the hill day! (weather permitting)
Online Calendar: We will do our best to keep the online school calendar updated as well as send out announcements through our weekly parent newsletter this year. You can find the calendar under Upcoming Events located on the school webpage. http://mtloafer.nebo.edu
Have you checked out our facebook and instagram? Follow us @mtloafergrizzlies or search #mtloafergrizzlies on your IG to see the day to day happenings at our school!